“One candle no matter how small, will always break the darkness and set 1001 other candles aflame, and we will see we are never alone no matter how dark it seemed”
CANDLES IN THE DARKNESS
11th Residential Animist/’shamanic’ Gathering & Conference
7th – 10th May 2019
Pre-gathering 4-7th, Post gathering 11th
Easter Seals, Squamish
“sing until the darkness is lifted”
The Sagh’ic Tradition believe that each and every heart is both at any time, hearth and forge; A hearth to gather to and be safe and nurtured, a forge to go from changed and purposeful.
There is a third state of the heart, that of the beacon, which not only shows a safe path, it sings out to guide and prepare, and above all that in the darkness there is another heart.
“Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”
The celtic peoples would say that everything starts in the dark; spring from winter, dawn from night, birth from the womb.
Darkness is a liminal moment of gathering and preparing from the next starburst of wonder, it is always a precursor the very next miracle.
When the shadow is darkest, real or imagined, from within or without, when the storm is at its wildest, how do we as those shining beacons, fiery forges, warming hearths, keep that single fragile, vulnerable candle flame of hope and soul burning.
The world we share may seem overwhelmed with darkness, a bad day, ill health, loss of control, every shadow that mass media can throw at us, however that hearth, that forge, that single candle, that heart, is a beacon, a vanguard, a call of hope; even a broken heart shines brightly, for every heart, every candle draws us together.
“A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle”.
This Gathering, is both Hearth and Forge a beacon of brightly burning hearts, singing for change, being the change, changing, neither hiding or running from the darkness, rather standing firm and celebrating the moment to come.
Here is a beacon call for presenters and ceremonialists to submit proposals to build such a shining light. Let none of us ever be afraid to light a candle in the darkness; our light is the song that lifts the darkness beyond our fears.
The criteria of the proposals are as follows:
- It should relate to weave towards and support the ceremonial theme of the Gathering, ‘CANDLES IN THE DARKNESS’ (as above)
- It should reflect the commitment to healing the relationship between humans, no matter what they believe, and the Earth and the celebration of our primal origins as equal inhabitants of this planet.
- Each presentation should be deemed a ceremony within the overall ceremony of the Gathering
- It should be mindful of the Society’s and the Tradition’s focus on, Community, Tribe, Clan and Family; ceremonies/presentations need to acknowledge this tradition while deepening the Spiritual Community connection.
- Presentations should demonstrate an honouring of the working partnership of Animists, Shaman, Shamanic Practitioners, Healers and all people of spirit, with Spirit and also make available new wisdom and applications.
- It should unite not only the Animist & people of spirit Community & Family, but all those who seek to know and understand the great mystery beyond themselves in Wisdom and Experience
- It should open participants to possibility, changes, new beginnings and Spirit
- It should be a vehicle in which Spirit, ancestors and descendants are evoked and made present
- It should be honouring to all participants and as much as possible be participatory.
- The presentations should in common raise a consciousness of forgiveness, surrender and union with all beings of the Earth as part of our commitment to global harmony and the deepening of equal relationship between all the children of the Earth, the Elementals and the Spirits
- Finally, this conference tries and endeavors to be as ecologically and environmentally conscious as possible, please be mindful of this when planning your presentation i.e. handouts, supplies, use of the outdoors etc.
Only presentations that meet the criteria will be considered.
Below are several formats to choose from when preparing a presentation for submission:
Short Learning: 2 hours. These presentations will either teach the application of Spirit Practice or open participants to Spirit experience.
Wisdom Learning: 3 hours + ½ break. In depth learning and experience combining theory, history, culture and tradition, in a context of modern day application.
Healing Circle: 1 hour sessions. We have been asked to include healing circles in the conference, providing small healing groups for about 10-15 people – proposers would be doing 2 x 1 hour sessions
Spirit Smithing: 2 hour session of participating in and learning a spirit Art & Craft, etc. Rattle making, spirit tool creating, etc.
Presenters may submit a variety of proposals for consideration, especially the shorter presentations and circles.
We encourage presenters to collaborate and work together
Presentations should identify the following in order to be considered:
- Name & Full contact details
- Ideal size of group
- Intended audience
- Title of presentation
- Outline of content
- Format preferred
- Expected outcome and/or goal for participants
- How this will serve the Animist/’shamanic’ & Global Community
- A short biography with head shot photo (jpeg)
Please email all proposals to email@example.com and mark the subject box ‘BC Conference Presentation proposal’
Closing date for submissions is
12 noon PST August 15th 2018
Why do we ask so early?
It is our principle to try and make the Gathering (conference) as accessible to as many as possible. By having the Gathering (conference) planned early we can allow registrants to pay for the event in installments should they wish.
And to ensure we can we can get those teachers before their diaries get filled.
Presentation submissions will be passed to a selection panel, which through Spirit Journey will identify the chosen teachers.
Those chosen will be rewarded by having their basic conference fees negated and only paying for meals and accommodation and by default are in the position to first select from the presentation schedule. A discounted Teachers Package has been negotiated for the entire event, which includes pre & post conference options.
If chosen the teacher will receive a password by which they can register and pay their non refundable deposit, making their presentation available to general registrants.
It is also our Intention for this and all Conferences & Gatherings presentations in common to raise a consciousness of forgiveness & surrender as part of our commitment to global harmony and the deepening equal relationship between all the children of the Earth and the Spirits. Such is a committed prayer in Spirit to the survival of our planet and in hope for our species.
Through and by this Gathering as with all our Gatherings, we support Reforestation and demarcation of ancestral lands of The Pataxó People and the People of The Guarani in the Brazilian forest, and the continued support and sponsorship of a boy and girl in Mali, a girl in India and a boy in Nepal. We have also taken on supporting an SOS children’s village in Nepal.
This Conference is prescribed by direct spirit intervention and will be a full ceremonial gathering of morning meditations, morning focus plenaries on the relationship between The Forest and humans with afternoon choices of workshops and teachings, healings, ceremonies. Each day will culminate in an Evening Ceremony for the whole gathering, to consolidate and celebrate the day’s work and prepare for the following day.
There will a market place for participants to display and sell their personal work, healing ceremonies and quiet time, plus the opportunity to attend pre-conference workshops.
The conference will be a full 5 days, and have more opportunities for the entire gathering to be together, also shorter workshops, with the choice of adding pre-conference modules, which includes an extra 2 days before conference opening and the opportunity for a post reflection, networking and packing day after conference closing.
If you require further guidance or information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org